MAGGIE: the dog who changed my life

MAGGIE: the dog who changed my life
Click photo to visit dawnkairns.com

Friday, April 8, 2011

Brain Freeze: Information Overload Is Paralyzing Our Decisions

Posted By Dawn Kairns, Author of MAGGIE: the dog who changed my life

Do you ever feel overwhelmed trying to keep up with Twitter, Facebook, email, texts, and your blog? I know I do, and have consciously had to cut back and limit my time with each. That's why the March 7, 2011 issue of Newsweek grabbed my eye with its' cover, Brain Freeze: How the deluge of information paralyzes our ability to make good decisions (by Sharon Begley). 

 If this overwhelm speaks to you in any way, I encourage you to read the full article by clicking the link under this article excerpt:

"... The research should give pause to anyone addicted to incoming texts and tweets. The booming science of decision making has shown that more information can lead to objectively poorer choices, and to choices that people come to regret. It has shown that an unconscious system guides many of our decisions, and that it can be sidelined by too much information. And it has shown that decisions requiring creativity benefit from letting the problem incubate below the level of awareness—something that becomes ever-more difficult when information never stops arriving ..."

The Science of Making Decisions - Newsweek

What about you? Would you be happier, calmer, and make more sound decisions if you decreased the amount of electronic information coming your way?

No comments :