MAGGIE: the dog who changed my life

MAGGIE: the dog who changed my life
Click photo to visit dawnkairns.com

Saturday, April 9, 2011

Just a Dream? I Don't Think So

Posted By Dawn Kairns, Author of MAGGIE: the dog who changed my life

A couple of days ago I posted about dreams, and shared that one motivation for writing my book, MAGGIE: the dog who changed my life,  was to share with you the significance that dreams played in our relationship, especially towards the end of Maggie's life. Those of you who read MAGGIE know how shocked I was to discover that some of my dreams about her were even prophetic.

Just days before Maggie passed
Maggie passed on July 24, 2001. On June 9, 2000, more than a year before her death, I had the following dream:

There is a 22-year-old Golden retriever who can run faster than Maggie. She clearly has more stamina than Maggie does, and I'm worried because Maggie's stamina is not as good as this dog's is. I want Maggie to live this long and I am afraid she won't.

I didn't know this dream was our next dog announcing herself. Of course you know it was true that Maggie didn't live to be 22 years old. I grieved deeply for Maggie and finally, after a year, we decided to adopt another dog. For months prior to doing so, a voice inside kept telling me, "adopt an older dog." I wasn't sure why exactly. But I wanted to honor that voice. And I kept picturing a Golden retriever or a Golden lab mix. 

Chloe--her grief is obvious--she so missed her family
We ended up adopting Chloe, an 11-year-old Golden retriever from Golden Retriever Rescue of the Rockies. No, she wasn't 22 years old. But oh my did she have the stamina for an 11-year-old! And yes, it far surpassed Maggie's stamina!  

Chloe's family had moved to Peru. It felt right to bring this golden angel into our lives to love and be loved by during the remainder of her golden years. Queen Chloe shared her life with us for 3 1/2 years. 

 Not all the pieces match 100% in a clairvoyant or prophetic dream as you can see here, but the gist of the dream manifested itself. By no means are all of our dreams prophetic, but taking the time to journal our dreams and understand them can open new doors to personal growth and insight. Dreams can help us become more of who we are, and give us personal direction in our lives if we pay attention.

 I encourage you to begin a dream journal. Write down what small or seemingly nonsensical piece of a dream that you remember. The more you show your unconscious that you are listening, the more it will reveal to you as time goes on. In other words, the more dreams you will recall  in more detail. Find a Jungian therapist as I did to help you with dream symbolism when you begin this wonderful inner journey. And remember, they are not "just dreams!"

No comments :