MAGGIE: the dog who changed my life

MAGGIE: the dog who changed my life
Click photo to visit dawnkairns.com

Thursday, May 26, 2011

Ode to Animal Rescuers


It has truly been a time of unprecedented disasters: earthquakes, floods, tornadoes, to name the most recent. Many lives have been lost, humans as well as animals. With each disaster, animal rescuers are called upon to search for, assist, and transport displaced animals to safety. Having traveled to Mississippi after Hurricane Katrina to help care for displaced animals, I have a sense of the effort it takes and the sadness it can involve. I also remember the sense of immense satisfaction and fulfillment available to those helping the animals.

This tribute is for you, all of you animal rescuers who give so much of yourselves to help our furry angels. It is for those of you who travel long distances to rescue in emergency situations; for you who travel to kill shelters to save those whose time is up to transport them to waiting rescue groups; for all of you kind souls who foster animals in your homes, for without you there would be no rescue groups; for all of you who adopt dogs, cats and other animals; for the thousands of you on twitter and Facebook sharing information and links to help save the animals across the country and throughout the world; for all of you volunteers at animal shelters and rescue groups; and for any of you who I have failed to mention to make the lives of homeless animals better, this tribute is to you:

By the love of those who I've been privileged to rescue
I have been rescued.
I know what true unconditional love really is 
for I've seen it shining in the eyes of so many
Grateful for so little.
I am an animal rescuer.
My work is never done. 
My home is never quiet. 
My wallet is always empty.
But my heart is always full.
--Author Unknown

No comments :