MAGGIE: the dog who changed my life

MAGGIE: the dog who changed my life
Click photo to visit dawnkairns.com

Sunday, February 28, 2010

A Forever Home for Marky?

I was about to walk out of the door of Sheree's gift shop last week on South Padre Island when she asked, "Have you found a home for Marky yet?"

Surprised, I turned and looked at her. "How did you know about Marky?" I asked her. Sherry and I met here last year when Tom and I visited the island. She was a board member for the Laguna Madre Humane Society at the time. She and her husband also hosted a book signing for me at their store for Maggie the dog who changed my life.

"Your blog," she replied.

When I told her we hadn't yet, her next statement stop me in my tracks.

"I can take him. I'm kind of looking for another male dog since I lost mine last month. We can do a rescue to rescue transfer with Sam's rescue organization. I can foster him. And you know many of my fosters never end up leaving ..." Sam is Sheree's sister who has a rescue organization in Nevada. She and Sheree have worked for years fostering and placing animals.

"Do you mean foster him with an eye towards adopting him?"

"Yes," she nodded her head and smiled.

I couldn't believe my ears! I had been at Sheree's house last year and saw her fosters and how she cared for them. I knew her love for animals, especially dogs. Was I really hearing this? I couldn't think of a more dog-loving person for Marky to end up with."

I sent Sheree the BSPCA's contact information and went back into the store a few days later. Sheree has a lot on her plate right now. Her sister is staying with her while being treated for recently diagnosed breast cancer. Sheree is dealing with the fear and grief that comes with her sister's diagnosis. She is also dealing with the very recent loss of her beloved dog.

"Is this a good time for you to take this on?" I ask.

"Probably not," she admits. "But it's a good time for Marky."

Wow. That's why she'll be great. Sheree's plan is to pick Marky up in Brownsville after he is neutered on March 10 to bring him to her home for his recovery.

Sheree and BSPCA have not connected with each other yet. I am holding my breath and envisioning that this will work. Laura from BSPCA will let me know what happens with Marky, and promises to get him adopted at some point if Sheree finds she can't take him now.

And it's good-bye again. We leave the island tomorrow ... with both sadness and hope. I'd feel much better if Marky was in Sheree's home now, but I let go for now and hope, really hope ...

Posted By:

Dawn Kairns
Author of
MAGGIE the dog who changed my life A Story of Love

Website: www.dawnkairns.com
2009 Indie Book Awards Finalist
DWAA 2008 Merial Human-Animal Bond Award Finalist

2 comments :

Ingrid King said...

Sending lots of good thoughts and energy to Sheree and Marky. It sounds like a match made in heaven - even though Sheree is dealing with so much right now, maybe Marky is exactly what she needs. Maybe the two are meant to support each other. Can't wait to hear your next update!

Dawn Kairns, Author of MAGGIE the dog who changed my life said...

Ingrid, I'm hoping, too, that Marky & Sheree are each what the other needs. I just learned last night that Sheree & Laura from BSPCA connected by phone. Now we're just waiting for his neuter on March 10!