MAGGIE: the dog who changed my life

MAGGIE: the dog who changed my life
Click photo to visit dawnkairns.com

Wednesday, August 5, 2009

Guardian Angel Dog Saves Her Person Through Canine Intuition



My dog, Maddie being Cinnamon's guardian angel in backseat of truck.

Here is Shamron's response to my question to an online book club: Have any of you had experiences, past or present, where your dog seems to understand you or what you're thinking where you can't attribute it to training?

... I am immediately reminded of my now deceased Flat-coated Ret
riever, Epic. She had the most beautiful and intuitive soul I have ever known, human or animal. She would often sit with me on the couch and knew before I spoke what I was going to ask her to do.

One time out of the blue she went to sit by the door waiting to
go with me. I had been thinking I needed to go to the store before a big snow storm came but I wasn't thinking of taking one of the dogs. It turned out to be a true miracle because she saved us both that day. She like to ride shot gun on the seat next to me. On the way home it was snowing so hard I could barely see. I told Epic to keep watch for any cars coming. We went on a bit at a snail's pace and Epic suddenly turned and stared at me. So I stopped the car, who knows why. Had I gone on we would have had an almost head on with a pick-up truck.

She was amazing at sizing people up too. There was not a mean bone in her body ever, she loved everyone. Yet one afternoon we were driving back
home from the city to where I lived in the boonies. It was really foggy so you could not see a thing. I was again only going a couple miles an hour. From literally out of no where this guy comes out at the road side. Really there he was like some specter. Epic took one look at him and every single hair on her body rose straight up. She growled and said things an Irish mother would not say. The guy was now standing in the road blocking me from passing except by this tiny path on the shoulder that looked down into a gully. I drove it with Epic at the side window near the guy and you could tell she was wishing she could have a bite. I got home and that night on the news there was a report of a fellow who walked away from a prison work detail right in that area. I don't know if he was the man but Epic sure saw him as a threat.

Living with her was wonderful. I called her my guardian angel. It's been almost two years and I still go to the baggie with her hair clipping and smell it and am with her once again.


Posted By:

Dawn Kairns
Author of MAGGIE: the dog who changed my life
www.dawnkairns.com
www.maggiethedogwhochangedmylife.blogspot.com
www.twitter.com/themaggiebook

*Dog Writer's Association of America 2008 Merial Human-Animal Bond Award Finalist* *Indie Book Awards 2009 Finalist*

No comments :