MAGGIE: the dog who changed my life

MAGGIE: the dog who changed my life
Click photo to visit dawnkairns.com

Tuesday, July 21, 2009

Do You Travel With Your Pets?

How I love camping trips with my animals! We just returned from hiking explorations of the Wind River Range, the Teton Mountains and the Gros Ventre Range. Cinnamon, our cat, and Maddie, our dog, travel with us. Maddie is sooo energetic. Those few people we passed on the trails would comment on her energy and joy.
"Now that dog has some hunt in her!" commented one man as Maddie flew back and forth across the grassy meadow. Well, we aren't hunters, but I'm sure Maddie wouldn't mind at all if we were. Watching her run and do her own form of hunting is a thing of beauty to watch and brings smiles to our faces. This is a picture of Maddie and me at the top of Coal Creek -- Mesquite Divide with the back of Grand Teton in background.

My nephew, Brad and his fiance, Lauren, traveled from Boise, Idaho to meet us in the Wyoming Wind River Range before Tom, my husband and I rolled further north in Wyoming. Of course, Brad brought his black lab, Drake and Lauren brought her dog, Moose. You see Drake here with Maddie enjoying his daily hot dog treat from me at our campsite. It was an adventure in itself getting 4 humans, 2 large black labs, a Shiatsu, and a cat in one small camper for dinner!

And who says small dogs can't do long hikes with the big dogs? Here is Lauren's solution to Moose's tired little legs, but that didn't stop him from traveling up Green River Lakes trail with the rest of us!

My favorite has to be my 16 year old cat, Cinnamon, who gets braver each year. Here you see her looking out the truck window in Pinedale, Wyoming, a first for her since she began traveling with us at age 12. She used to hide in her litter box in the back seat during all stops. Who says an old kitty can't learn to have new adventures?

I wouldn't miss these trips with my special animals. Do you travel with your pets? Let us hear about your adventures ...


Posted By:

Dawn Kairns
Author of MAGGIE: the dog who changed my life
www.dawnkairns.com
www.maggiethedogwhochangedmylife.blogspot.com
www.twitter.com/themaggiebook

6 comments :

Anonymous said...

I just love the pictures! Hope you enjoyed the rest of your trip, we had a great time with you guys despite the mosquitoes!! Talk to you soon, love Lauren.

Maggiethedogwhochangedmylife said...

Thanks! We really enjoyed both of you, too. The rest of trip was fabulous, too... Love,Dawn

Ingrid King said...

Wonderful photos! I especially love the one of Cinnamon - that's just amazing to me. Amber would absolutely hate traveling. The longest she ever travels is the 20 minutes it takes to get to the vet's, and it's not pretty. Granted, the fact that she may know that that's where she's going, since it's the only time she ever travels anywhere, may have something to do with her lack of, ahem, enjoyment. However, in general, cats are creatures of habit and there aren't many as adventurous as Cinnamon who actually enjoy travel.

I'm glad you had such a wonderful vacation - thanks for sharing the photos!

Dawn Kairns, Author of MAGGIE: the dog who changed my life said...

Glad you enjoyed the photos, especially Cinnamon. She used to hate going in the car, too; I really believe going with Maddie makes all the difference. It all started with Chloe, the Golden we adopted after Maggie died. Cinnamon has always had an anchor to our dogs, starting with Maggie, and somehow if they go, she is ok. And now, after 4 years, it's part of her habit!

Kirkland Acres Rabbitry And Farm said...

Awesome pics, love the one of you with the mountain in the background!

Dawn Kairns, Author of MAGGIE: the dog who changed my life said...

Thanks! That's the back of the Grand Teton...