MAGGIE: the dog who changed my life

MAGGIE: the dog who changed my life
Click photo to visit dawnkairns.com

Thursday, March 8, 2012

Sound Therapy and Other Stress Busters for Anxious Pets

Do you have a dog that is fearful of thunderstorms? Fourth of July fireworks? Or a dog with separation anxiety? It has now been shown that calm music, such as classical music can have a calming effect on dogs.

I had a first hand experience yesterday with our foster dog, Lucky. He was exhibiting some separation anxiety behaviors when left alone in his crate when I left the house. Yesterday before I left, I set him up with Pandora playing through my computer, and a peanut butter kong. He rested his head on his paws as the music played (it was actually easy listening country), and lifted his head quickly when the music stopped. I was able to leave Lucky alone for nearly 3 hours in his crate, and he was calm when I returned home, the music still playing! Not only was I proud of him, but I sensed he was happy and proud of himself!

You can learn more about sound therapy in the book Through a Dog's Ear, and read how more animals are being adopted in shelters as a result of this wonderful discovery here: http://throughadogsear.com/

The following video segment with Dr. Marty Becker from Good Morning America discusses the powerful calming effect of music on dogs, as well as other products such as anxiety wraps and fermone sprays.



Lucky and Maddie
To learn more about Lucky or to adopt him visit Rocky Mountain Lab Rescue and fill out an application. He is 6 1/2 years old, house-trained, responds to many commands, and is affectionate and sweet. He will lie at your feet, cuddle and be thrilled to finally have his forever home where he is loved and wanted for life.

Posted By Dawn Kairns, Author of MAGGIE: the dog who changed my life

No comments :