MAGGIE: the dog who changed my life

MAGGIE: the dog who changed my life
Click photo to visit dawnkairns.com

Monday, January 4, 2010

A Pet's Ten Commandments

My initial post of a pet's 10 Commandments came via email and touched me deeply, but did not credit anyone. I have since been informed that this is copyrighted material, so here is the correct version with credit to the author below. Can we pet lovers not all relate?

The 10 Commandments From a Pet's Point of View

* My life is likely to last 10-15 years, any separation from you will be painful for me. Remember that before you buy me.

* Give me time to understand what you want from me, don't be impatient, short-tempered, or irritable.

* Place your trust in me and I will always trust you back. Respect is earned not given as an inalieable right.

* Don't be angry with me for long and don't lock me up as punishment, I am not capable of understanding why? I only know I have been rejected, you have your work entertainment and friends I only have you.

* Talk to me sometimes, even if I don't understand your words I understand your voice and your tone, "you only have to look at my tail".

* Be aware that however you treat me I'll never forget it, and if it's cruel it may affect me forever.

* Please don't hit me I can't hit back, but I can bite and scratch and I really don't ever want to do that.

* Before you scold me for being uncooperative, obstinate, or lazy, ask yourself if something might be bothering me. Perhaps I'm not getting the right foods or I've been out in the sun too long, or my heart is getting old and weak, I may be just dog tired.

* Take care of me when I get old. You too will grow old and may also need love, care, comfort, and attention.

* Go with me on difficult journeys, never say, "I can't bear to watch" or "Let it happen in my absence". Everything is easier for me if you are there. Remember, irrespective of what you do I will always love you.

© Stan Rawlinson 1993
Dog Behaviourist and Obedience Trainer
www.doglistener.co.uk/humour/commandments.shtml
www.doglistener.co.uk
0208 979 2019

"I changed this slightly from my initial 1993 poem
this is the final draft version 1998"

Photo: Maggie and me (around age 8).

Posted By:

Dawn Kairns
Author of
MAGGIE the dog who changed my life A Story of Love

Website: www.dawnkairns.com
2009 Indie Book Awards Finalist
DWAA 2008 Merial Human-Animal Bond Award Finalist

4 comments :

Ingrid King said...

This is wonderful - I'll be sharing this for sure.

Dawn Kairns, Author of MAGGIE the dog who changed my life said...

Touching, isn't it? Especially the part about staying with them at the end...that went straight to my heart.

Boxer Puppy said...

Very inspiring article. Thanks for posting it!

Dawn Kairns, Author of MAGGIE the dog who changed my life said...

I'm glad you are inspired by it. Thanks for letting me know.