After my dog, Maggie went through an intense surgery at age eight, I took her to a veterinarian for acupuncture to help with her recovery. Maggie had wonderful results from the acupuncture, including increased energy and well-being and the improvement of an arthritic limp. There are many alternative therapies available today for our animals, including more subtle forms of energy treatments such as Reiki and Tellington Touch. Animals are particulary sensitive to the energy around them, including ours -- and respond beautifully to energy treatments such as Reiki. Today I have invited Ingrid King, a writer, Reiki Master Practitioner and owner of Healing Hands to share with us the benefits of Reiki treatments for our pets.
by Ingrid King
Reiki is an energy therapy that originated in Japan. The word Reiki is a Japanese composite word usually translated as "universal life energy". Animals, especially cats, are naturally receptive to the Reiki energy and tend to gravitate towards it readily (some people even say cats invented Reiki). Reiki benefits animals in many different ways.
• Reiki enhances your pet's overall well-being. Just like people, even healthy pets can have occasional physical, emotional and mental imbalances that, if left untreated, can manifest as illness. Periodic Reiki treatments can help maintain your pet's natural state of well-being and balance.
• Reiki strengthens the immune system and accelerates healing following illness and surgery. Cancer therapies such as chemotherapy and radiation present stress to an already compromised immune system. Reiki helps alleviate or prevent the side effects of conventional cancer treatments and provides pain relief. Reiki can alleviate and prevent side effects of conventional medications such as pain killers and antibiotics, and provides pain relief and relaxation to facilitate and enhance the body's natural healing response.
• Reiki increases trust and bonding between you and your pet. People and pets often mirror each others' physical and emotional states. Animals are natural healers and sometimes take on their person's problems, often in an attempt to heal them. This happens because of the deep bond shared between a pet and her person. Because of the shared energy in such a close relationship, energetic imbalances are shared as well. For optimum healing, joint treatments for pet and person can often be beneficial.
• Reiki can help with behavior issues by promoting relaxation and stress reduction. Many behavior issues are caused by stress. Reiki has a calming effect on the pet and may help make the pet more receptive to training and behavior modification. Reiki is extremely beneficial for animals with a history of abuse. This gentle form of touch, combined with the healing energy, can help restore trust in animals who have learned to associate touch with being hurt.
• Reiki can facilitate the transition for terminally ill animals and their owners. Often, animals will not allow themselves to transition because they intuitively feel that their person is not ready to let them go. Joint Reiki treatments for the pet and his person can help both through this difficult time by enhancing the bond and allowing a gentle transition.
Healing Hands provides in-person and distance Reiki treatments for pets and their people. For more information, please visit www.pethealing.net.
Ingrid King publishes a free newsletter and a blog with topics ranging from conscious living for you and your pets to holistic and alternative health topics. Ingrid is the author of "Buckley's Story - Lessons from a Feline Master Teacher" to be published later this year.
Author of MAGGIE: the dog who changed my lifewww.maggiethedogwhochangedmylife.blogspot.com