MAGGIE: the dog who changed my life

MAGGIE: the dog who changed my life
Click photo to visit dawnkairns.com

Thursday, March 11, 2010

Marky the Rescue Dog Update

I have two kinds of news about Marky. The difficult news is that Sheree's (Marky's next foster mom and potential adopter) sister has been in and out of the hospital the last week with a dangerously low white blood count due to her chemotherapy. Her chemotherapy was rescheduled for Wednesday, yesterday, the day Sheree would have picked Marky up after his neuter surgery. Needless to say, she couldn't pick him up. Sam (Sheree's sister) is currently living with Sheree, and Sheree is trying to keep her isolated from any potential bacteria AND trying to incorporate Sam's animals into their household. So she can't take Marky this week. My heart goes out to Sheree, Sam and their family in their time of crisis. Incorporating a new dog at such a stressful time, as we all know, would be so hard on all involved, including Marky.

The great news is that a different BSPCA foster mom, Cindy, picked Marky up from his first foster home a few days ago to be sure he made it to his surgery yesterday. If you remember, the first foster mom missed Marky's first neuter appointment along with a couple of other dogs, and neglected to get her 3 foster dogs to PetSmart on 2 potential adoption days. Given her unreliablity, BSPCA arranged for Marky to stay with Cindy, and this is where he'll stay until Sheree is ready to take him. At Cindy's we learned that Marky is good with Cindy's several cats. I hear that Sheree likes this idea. What amazes me is that Sheree still plans to pick Marky up next Wednesday! I have to say, she is a bigger woman than I am. Of course I want Marky to go with her, but I don't know that I would be capable of doing it if I were walking in Sheree's shoes right now.

Marky does seem to be food aggressive and Laura from BSPCA tells me that Sheree is aware of this and has dealt with this issue with a couple of her own dogs. Is it any surprise that he is food aggressive right now given that he was out fending for himself as a pup, starving, with ribs protruding, and being eaten alive by fleas? Other than his food aggression, Cindy reports that Marky is a very sweet and friendly dog. That's the boy I met on the road!

Marky came through his surgery very well yesterday and tested negative for heartworm! The wait for his forever home continues, but I'm happy that progress is being made. I am relieved that he is now neutered, safe, and with a reliable foster. What will next Wednesday bring? Even though it seems so overwhelming to me for Sheree to foster or adopt Marky right now, perhaps somehow Sheree, Marky, and Sam are all part of each other's healing and support during this crisis. My hope for the best for all of these wonderful beings remains, and I owe a huge debt of gratitude to the wonderful volunteers of the Brownsville SPCA.

Let's all send healing energy in Sam's direction ...

Posted By:

Dawn Kairns
Author of
MAGGIE the dog who changed my life A Story of Love

2009 Indie Book Awards Finalist

DWAA 2008 Merial Human-Animal Bond Award Finalist

Website: www.dawnkairns.com

"There are only two ways to live your life: As if nothing is a miracle, or as if everything is a miracle." -- Albert Einstein

4 comments :

Ingrid King said...

I'm crossing my fingers so hard for Marky, they're starting to hurt! I hope this all works out for Marky, Sheree and Sam. I can't imagine, either, taking on the responsibility of a new dog with all that Sheree is going through, but yet, there's a part of me that believes that this is meant to be.

Dawn Kairns, Author of MAGGIE the dog who changed my life said...

Me, too, Ingrid ...

Dogluvr said...

Im glad that Marky came through his surgury okay. He's a good looking dog, and looking very healthy. I hope that everything turns out well for him. If you have time, please visit my webpage at http://dogfoodrecipescookbook.com/. Thanks!

Dawn Kairns, Author of MAGGIE: the dog who changed my life said...

Dogluvr: Thanks very much for your comment & well wishes for Marky. Your web page for your dog food recipe cookbook looks great -- thank you for helping people learn how to combine & balance healthy real food for their dogs rather than feed dog food.