MAGGIE: the dog who changed my life

MAGGIE: the dog who changed my life
Click photo to visit dawnkairns.com

Sunday, May 10, 2009

She Couldn't Imagine Life Without Her Dog

We've all heard or read stories about spouses or brothers and sisters who die just days apart because their bond is so close. I remember the incredible, late Buckminster Fuller dying as soon as he was told his wife had passed.

I speak often of the close human-canine bond, both in my blog and in my book. Here is part of an article that demonstrates the deep bond between Natt Nevins and her beloved 15 year old dachshund, Nikkie.

Written by Amy Sacks
NY DAILY NEWS, Saturday, May 9th

Dog lover Natt Nevins dies a day before beloved dachsund passes away

After her 15-year-old dachshund was diagnosed with cancer last month, Natt Nevins told friends she couldn't imagine life without her beloved dog, Nikkie.

"He was her baby. You couldn't think of Natt without Nikkie," said Nevins' longtime friend Betty Brown, whose dachshund, Chester, spent time with the colorful duo on long drives to upstate Woodstock.

Brown was among the dozens of friends - including an army of dachshunds, Shih Tzu's, Chihuahuas and other small dogs - that gathered at Nevins' West Village apartment Thursday night to memorialize the well-loved duo.

Nevins, 74, a community activist, dog lover and fixture in the Greenwich Village dog community, died this week, just a few days after suffering a massive stroke. Her darling Nikkie - described by many as a Casanova with "Betty Davis eyes" - survived Nevins by only one day.

The longtime Manhattan resident rescued the long-haired dachshund when he was just a 1-year-old pup, surrendered by a family with kids that burned him and tied cans to his legs...

To read full article by Amy Sacks in the Daily News visit:

http://www.nydailynews.com/lifestyle/2009/05/09/2009-05-09_dog_run_goes_quiet.html

Thank you, Natt Nevins, for rescuing and giving a forever home to this formerly abused dog, and for giving him your love and safety for 15 years. He obviously didn't want to live without you, either. And thank you for your years of commitment to the dog community. They needed your activism, and may we follow in your footsteps to speak out and care for dogs/animals.

Posted by:

Dawn Kairns
Author of MAGGIE: the dog who changed my life

Website: www.dawnkairns.com
Blog: www.maggiethedogwhochangedmylife.blogspot.com

4 comments :

Anonymous said...

It's so interesting to me how people react to this story. I think it's a beautiful story of a soul connection that simply could not be broken, even in death. I've heard other people say that it's too sad to even bear reading.

I suppose maybe the difference lies in what we believe about death, and what comes after. I believe that we're far more than these physical bodies, and that our spirits and those of our animal friends live on. While we miss the physical presence of those who've left us behind, the soul connection is eternal. And we might even be fortunate enough to encounter a departed soul a second time in this lifetime.

Thanks for sharing this story with us, Dawn.

Maggiethedogwhochangedmylife said...

Thanks, Ingrid, for your great perspective. I, too, find it a beautiful story of soul connection, rather than a sad story. Thanks for sharing your beliefs about human and animal spirits both living on after death-- and that we may again meet up with beloved departed souls once again in this life -- I share these beliefs with you.

Kirkland Acres Rabbitry And Farm said...

What a touching story. I tried to find your book through the search engine at my library, but it turned up nothing. Any ideas? I thought I would be able to get through them.

Maggiethedogwhochangedmylife said...

Thanks for looking for my book. What exactly did you plug in to the search box? That's interesting. Thanks for that feedback. What search engines? In Google & Yahoo my book title gives results for my website (www.dawnkairns.com) and Amazon.com. You can go to Amazon or Barnes and Noble online and plug in book title: MAGGIE: the dog who changed my life. Please let me hear more from you as others may be having the same problem.

If you searched for my book in the library files only, which now I'm thinking that's what you meant, they may not have it. My understanding from other readers is that most libraries will order a book once a patron asks them for it, so you can try that. Please let me know what happens.

Thanks again!
Dawn
www.dawnkairns.com